School Year 2020 – 2021
- Welcome to the “OpenUK Kids Competition” (“CHALLENGE”) operated by OpenUK during the school year 2021. The CHALLENGE aims to promote open technology via the open source micro:bit and open hardware glove kit inspired by MiMu. .
- Participation in the CHALLENGE is free, but participants require glove kits to participate. There are 4 Regional groupings.
- Northern Ireland;
- Scotland; and
- Each qualifying group which successfully registers by 30 July 2021 will be able to participate in the CHALLENGE.
OpenUK will distribute free glove kits in July 2021, but registering for the CHALLENGE will not guarantee receipt of a free glove kit. OpenUK will also provide a free of charge 10 lesson course of animated sessions and ezines in July/ August 2021 (Camp 2) and has previously provided a similar 10 lesson course and accompanying ezines in 2020 which is freely available (Camp 1) and together Camp 1 and Camp 2 shall be referred to as the Camps. Participation in and completion of the OpenUK Camps is encouraged for all participants but is not a requirement of entering the CHALLENGE.
- All Groups participating in the CHALLENGE will be required to submit 3 videos, each of 1-2 minutes in duration, for which the Judges will allocate points at their discretion ([ ] per video).
The videos must be as follows:
- Video 1: Hacking a sustainable glove kit (1-2mins)
Create a video that talks about how they have hacked a sustainable glove kit, using what they have learnt. What makes it sustainable and how has open source contributed to its development?
- Video 2: Grow the community (1-2mins)
Why they are interested in Open Source and why others should get involved in learning about it and value it.
- Video 3: Futures Vision: 2050 (1-2mins)
- Understanding the Sustainable Development Goals, what kind of world will we all live in in 2030 and how can we use technology to make it a better one.
In each Region, the “Regional Finalist” will be the team with the highest cumulative score.
Judges’ decision as to scoring is final and no communication will be entered into. All scores will be shared on the EPAM platform and will be public. I n entering the CHALLENGE your group agrees to this and to their score being shared.
Further details relating to the mechanics of the competition are included in the Teacher’s Guide, which will be provided to the supervising adult responsible for registration by 6 September.
- A qualifying group is a school or community group of 4 children in Secondary School [years 1-3] at the date of registration and who continue to be in this in September 2021(“Kids”) and one responsible adult who will register and input the required information to the EPAMPlatform in video and word format in the required time-scales as part of the CHALLENGE on behalf of the group.
The OpenUK Course level and Competition is targeted at skills and curriculum of Key Stage 3
Each school or community group is limited to one entry to the competition.
By registering to participate in the CHALLENGE, the registering adult confirms that they have sought and obtained consent from the parent or guardian of every participating member of the group to accept each of the terms and conditions included in these terms including those in the following sentence and in paragraphs 8, 10 and 13 in particular.
The registering adult will also be required to complete, sign and return a Participation and Media Release Form to OpenUK and EPAM by 6 September 2021 and must, in line with their school or community groups’ practices, have obtained equivalent consent from the parent or guardian of every participating member of the group in order to provide Participation and Media Release Form to OpenUK and EPAM
- The relevant dates for the competition are as follows:
- 13.07.21 Registration Opens
- 30.07.21 Registration Closes
- 6.09.21 Competition begins
- 30.09.21 Competition ends
- 1.10.21 Video content to be uploaded by 11.59pm BST
- 31.10.21 Regional Winners Notified
- 11.11.21 National Winners Announced and all Regional Winners attend Digital Awards Ceremony
- All members of the Regional Finalist teams will win a goody box to be shared at the Awards Ceremony and a
- Each Regional Finalist team final will receive a regional plaque for their school or community group to show their participation and finalist placement in the 2021 challenge.
- The Competition Final winning school will receive an additional plaque to show they were the overall winners for 2021.
OpenUK reserves the right to substitute any of the prizes with an alternative prize of similar value in the event that the original prize is not available.
- OpenUK and EPAM are independent parties.
- Competition entrants will own the copyright in the entries and provide OpenUK with a licence to use this on a Creative Commons Attribution, 4.0 basis.
8.1 By registering to participate in the CHALLENGE, the registering adult hereby confirms that they have sought and obtained consent from the parent or guardian of every member of the group to grant to OpenUK, permission and authorisation for OpenUK and its partners including Red Hat to take, record and retain such Media as may form part of the entry to the competition or presentation of the Awards at the Awards Ceremony and, thereafter, to use such Media to: (a) promote, showcase and highlight Open Technology, OpenUK, the glove or micro:bit, (b) promote and illustrate Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects, and (c) to incorporate and publish such Media as part of OpenUK’s web site, any form of press, social media, promotional media or museum or other exhibitions, or other reasonable activities, other web content and other marketing and promotional materials (including print and displays) and on our Website(s) and/or related third party website(s), both in the United Kingdom and globally. (d) The registering adult shall complete, sign and return a Participation/Media Release Form for all parties in the group in respect of the above matters to OpenUK in good faith by 6 September.
8.2 The registering adult confirms that the parent or guardian of every member of group acknowledges and agrees on behalf of all participants in the group that: (a) Media may also be sent to the news media and CHALLENGE events/activities may be visited by journalists and/or members of the media who will take their own photographs or film footage where pupils will often appear in these images. (b) The news media may use the images in printed publications (including local or national newspapers), on televised news programmes or on their websites where they then store them in their archive. (c) The news media may also syndicate the photos to other media for possible use, either in printed publications, on websites, or both. (d) When OpenUK, its partners submit photographs and information to the media, OpenUK, its partners has no control on when, where, if or how they will be used.
8.3. (a) The registering adult must make OpenUK, and its representatives or agents aware of children for whom no photo permission is granted, or who do not wish to be photographed and/or are ‘at risk’. (b) OpenUK will not identify individual children or young people (e.g. by first and last name) in association with Media unless expressly agreed in each case. (c) Open UK will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure that no images will be taken of any children for whom this permission has not been granted or who are ‘at risk’ or disallowed from having their photographs taken for legal or social reasons.
8.4 Please write to OpenUK if you wish to withdraw consent at any time should (a) pupil(s) leave the school, club, society or group.
8.5 (a) OpenUK will ensure that Media recorded will be of activities that show the group and children in a positive light. Embarrassing or distressing media will not be used. Media will not be associated with negative or sensitive issues. (b) OpenUK may use group or class photographs or footage with very general labels e.g. ‘science lesson’. (c) OpenUK will only use images of pupils who are suitably dressed. (d) OpenUK will take all reasonable measures to ensure the images are used solely for the purposes for which they are intended. However, this cannot be guaranteed, and OpenUK will take no responsibility for the way images are used by other websites or publishers or for any consequences arising from publication. Please note that websites can be viewed throughout the world and not just in the United Kingdom where UK law applies. In giving your consent you understand that images may be used in printed and electronic form.
8.6 TLP Points of Contact: Should you have any questions about the online platform please contact the following personnel at TLP: Any change to such personnel below at any time and from time to time shall be notified via the Website School Administration Manager Aulden@thelearningpartnership.com Office: +44 (0)1869 346609 Ext 209 Office: +44 (0) 1869 346609.
- Materials submitted in the competition must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, and must not show inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive, or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties.
- The registering adult confirms that each individual whose image is featured in the competition entry (including but not limited to the participants) has given consent for the use of his/her image in connection with this competition and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Where an individual whose image is featured in a competition entry is aged less than 18 years the entrant confirms that the parent or guardian of that individual has given the relevant consent.
- Prizes are at the discretion of the organiser, OpenUK. OpenUK accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with the competition or prize that are not expressly included in these Terms and Conditions.
- A suitable adult will register and be responsible for all online activity of the group. OpenUK, EPAMand the partners in this event will not be responsible for supervising any activity of the participants in any group and will have no liability for the participants or their activities.
- OpenUK accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any participant as a result of entering the competition or accepting a prize. OpenUK further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the competition. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude the liability of OpenUK under law for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
- OpenUK reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its reasonable control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud or pandemic (including but not limited to COVID-19)). The decision of OpenUK in all matters relating to the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- OpenUK shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this competition where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, pandemic (including but not limited to COVID-19), strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
- These Terms and conditions constitute the whole legal agreement between you and OpenUK and along with EPAM’S registration terms and conditions govern your group’s participation in the CHALLENGE and completely replace any prior agreements between you and OpenUK or EPAM in relation to the CHALLENGE.
17.1 You agree that OpenUK may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the Terms, by email, regular mail, or postings on the Website and/or the Services.
17.2 You agree that if OpenUK does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy which is contained in the Terms (or which OpenUK has the benefit of under any applicable law), this will not be taken to be a formal waiver of OpenUK’s rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to OpenUK.
17.3 If any court of law, having the jurisdiction to decide on this matter, rules that any provision of these Terms is invalid, then that provision will be removed from the Terms without affecting the rest of the Terms. The remaining provisions of the Terms will continue to be valid and enforceable.
17.4 The Terms, and your relationship with OpenUK under the Terms, shall be governed by English law. You and OpenUK agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England to resolve any legal matter arising from the Terms.
- The competition is organised by OpenUK, a company limited by guarantee registered company number 11209475 and registered at 75 Kenton Street, London WC1N 1NN. For questions contact email@example.com.