- To enable the UK’s leadership in Open Technology by influencing the development of suitable law, policy and practice.
- To represent and bring together legal and policy leaders in Open Technology in the UK while building a body of expertise and experience in legal and policy matters.
- To promote understanding of legal and policy matters relating to Open Technology across individuals, enterprise, and the public sector through education and the provision of tools and resources to enable the adoption of Open Technology.
Legal Work Group Chaired by Christopher Eastham
- Joint Report with OSOR on state of Open Source in UK published July 2020
- Amicus Brief Google v Oracle submitted March 2020
- FOSS4SME and letter to MP’s shared January 2020
- International Treaties – supported Brexit Trade Agreements
- Response to new Legislation – ongoing
- Tools and Education – ongoing
- Joint Events planned with Society of Computers and Law
The group works in a proactive and reactive way, looking at necessary and forward looking policies and areas of change as well as responding to proposed legislation in the UK and beyond.
Future Leaders Group
Chaired by Robert Grannells of Field Fisher and Katy Gibson of Bristows
This progressive group is working on collaborative activities to learn more about Open Technologies, and is mentored by the wider Legal and Policy Group. An initial Report on Government Procurement is expected in January 2021.
The group hold weekly training sessions on Friday at noon. All are welcome and details can be found in our Events.
Policy Work Groups – various Chairs
- COP 26 Circular Economy – Chaired by Cristian Parrino
- Cloud and Digital Sovereignty – seeking Chair
- Emerging Mobile – Chaired by Tomas Lamanauskas
- Open Data – Chaired by Amanda Brock
- Workshop with Arup scheduled January 2021
- DITO (Develop in the open healthcare project) – with L&P
- Kicking Covid Event in 2021 – Dr Victoria Betton
Sign up to the OpenUK newsletter to receive the latest general updates from OpenUK, news and events information.
Blogs of interest
OpenUK collaborates with European Commission Observatory’s report enriching content covering UK open source
EU’s Open Source Software Country Intelligence Report produced by OSOR covers attitudes to open source across continent, and highlights UK opportunities for open technology London...Read more Read more about post: OpenUK collaborates with European Commission Observatory’s report enriching content covering UK open source
Designing Tech to defeat Coercive Behaviour and Domestic Abuse
The combination of the app-economy and cheap cloud resources has led to a transformation in the technology tools we have to manage our lives. We...Read more Read more about post: Designing Tech to defeat Coercive Behaviour and Domestic Abuse
Gnome settles Patent litigation: Amanda Brock, CEO OpenUK interviews Neil McGovern, ED of Gnome Foundation and Board Director at OpenUK
“Firstly, Congratulations Neil and very well done. This is probably the best possible result Gnome could have had right? “I believe so, yes. We have...Read more Read more about post: Gnome settles Patent litigation: Amanda Brock, CEO OpenUK interviews Neil McGovern, ED of Gnome Foundation and Board Director at OpenUK
OpenUK Amicus Brief in Google v Oracle copyright law suit
Open Source Attorney, Van Lindberg discusses the filing with the U.S. Supreme Court of an amicus brief including OpenUK. An amicus brief is filed in...Read more Read more about post: OpenUK Amicus Brief in Google v Oracle copyright law suit