1. Welcome to the “OpenUK Kids Competition 2022” (“Challenge”) operated by OpenUK. The Challenge aims to promote Open Technology and Sustainability using the open hardware OpenUK Digital Glove inspired by MiMu (Digital Glove) which uses the micro:bit.
2. Participation in the Challenge is free, but participants require Digital Gloves to participate. OpenUK distributed circa 5000 free glove kits in 2021 and teams in receipt of these should register for the Challenge. Any Team which does not already have Digital Gloves and wish to take part in the Challenge can request 5 digital gloves with micro:bits by completing a Google Form at: https://forms.gle/2jUB8WdsQxTb2j526. Gloves are subject to availability and will be shared first come first served. These will be sent from 14th March 2022.
3. The OpenUK Kids Camps, openuk.uk/openkidscamp are available to all and recommended but not a requirement of the Challenge as it enables the Team to learn about Open Technology and Sustainability before taking part in this Challenge. The OpenUK Kids Camps each include a free of charge 10 lesson course animated sessions and ezines and can be found at openuk.uk/openkidscamp. The Second Kids Camp in particular is made up of content aligned to this Challenge.
4. To qualify, each team of 4 (Team) including a responsible adult (Responsible Adult) must:
- Include 4 Young People in full time education and each of whom are in: Year 9 or below if at school in England/Wales, S3 or below if at school in Scotland, or Year 10 or below if at school in Northern Ireland, as at the date of registration and who continue to be on 31st July 2022 (“Kids”). No Kid may participate in more than one Team; and
- Appoint a Responsible Adult to register the Team to participate in the Challenge, supervise the Kids in the team and their submissions, make the submission to the platform specified by OpenUK by 31st July 2022 and organise participation in September 2022 if appropriate; and
- Attend any in person or digital final or prize giving which shall take place in September 2022; and
- Register the Team with OpenUK in advance of submitting any entry at https://forms.gle/GPUFaDQHYa9Jedzn6; and
- Submit an entry made up of the following by no later than Midnight UCT on 31st July 2022 to the platform specified by OpenUK:
- A digital poster of A3 size promoting Open Technology for Sustainability; and
- A video of 1-2 minutes length using the glove kits in a collaborative or creative way; and
- A blog post of 500-600 words on an aspect of or the values of Open Source Software.
All submissions to OpenUK must be made by the Responsible Adult only. OpenUK makes no representations as to the availability of services being used for submissions and recommends that entries are submitted in advance to avoid any delays or failures in submission. Late submissions will not be accepted and OpenUK takes no responsibility for any disappointment caused by late submissions. Details of the platform will be provided in advance of the due date by OpenUK.
5. The Challenge is split into 5 regions (Regions) and there will be 5 Regional Winners, one per Region and 1 National Winner. The 5 regions are:
- Northern Ireland;
- England North; and
- England South.
The Responsible Adult should select the Region in which they identify the Team as being based on registration with care as this cannot be changed at a later date.
6. By registering to participate in the Challenge, the Responsible Adult confirms:
- That they have read and agreed to these Terms; and
- That they will complete all information required for the Challenge accurately;
- That they are not infringing any third party rights in any submissions made by them as part of the Challenge;
- That they have sought and obtained consent from the parent or guardian of every participating member of the Team and ensured their acceptance of the Terms included in the Media Release including without limitation those in paragraphs 11, 13 and 16. The Responsible Adult must complete, sign and return the Media Release for all Kids.
7. The Judges will allocate points to the Team submissions and in each Region, the Regional Winner will be the Team with the highest cumulative score as allocated. The National Winner will be chosen by a VIP Judging Panel. The Judges’ decisions are final and no communications will be entered into. All scores may at OpenUK’s option be shared and made public.
8. The relevant dates for the Challenge are as follows:
- 1 March 2022 Challenge registration open
- 31 July 2022 Challenge ends and all entries must be submitted by midnight UK to the platform shared by OpenUK in advance of this date
- September 2022 – Challenge Regional Winners Notified
- September 2022 – Challenge Regional and National Winners Announced publicly – digital or in person ceremony, details TBC and subject to change
9. Prizes and Prize Giving
- All members of the Regional Winning Teams will receive a prize and a plaque
- Each Regional Winning Team will receive a Regional Winner plaque for their school or community group
- The National Winning Team will receive an additional plaque to show they were the overall winners for 2021/22
- The Regional Winning Teams will be invited to attend a digital or face to face Ceremony, at OpenUK’s option in September 2022
- OpenUK reserves the right to substitute any of the prizes with an alternative prize of similar value in the event that the original prize is not available.
10. All entries should be original work of the Team. Teams will own the copyright in the entries and provide OpenUK with a licence to use this on a Creative Commons Attribution, 4.0 basis. OpenUK may use these as it sees fit, in its absolute discretion either independently or with other content and/or entries from time to time.
11. By registering to participate in the Challenge, the Responsible Adult hereby confirms that they have sought and obtained consent from the parent or guardian of every member of the Team to grant to OpenUK, permission and authorisation for OpenUK and its partners to take, record and retain such media as may form part of the entry to the Challenge or presentation of the Prizes (Media), and thereafter, to use such Media to: (a) promote, showcase and highlight Open Technology, OpenUK, the Digital Glove or micro:bit, (b) promote and illustrate Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) subjects, and (c) to incorporate and publish such Media, any form of press, social media, promotional media or museum or other exhibitions, or other reasonable activities, other web content and other marketing and promotional materials (including print and displays) and/or OpenUK or third party website(s), or social media, both in the United Kingdom and beyond. (d) The Responsible Adult shall complete, sign and return a Participation/Media Release Form for all parties in the Team in respect of the above matters to OpenUK in good faith by Midnight on 31 July 2022.
11.1 The Responsible Adult confirms that the parent or guardian of every member of Team acknowledges and agrees on behalf of all participants in the Team that: (a) Media may also be sent to the news media and Challenge events/activities may be visited by journalists and/or members of the media who will take their own photographs or film footage where pupils will often appear in these images. (b) The news media may use the images in printed publications (including local or national newspapers), on televised news programmes or on their websites or social media where they then store them in their archive. (c) The news media may also syndicate the photos to other media for possible use, either in printed publications, on websites, or both. (d) When OpenUK or its partners submit photographs and information to the media, OpenUK or its partners have no control on when, where, if or how they will be used.
11.2. (a) The Responsible Adult must make OpenUK, and its representatives or agents aware of Kids for whom no photo permission is granted, or who do not wish to be photographed and/or are ‘at risk’. (b) OpenUK will not identify individual Kids (e.g. by first and last name) in association with Media unless expressly agreed in each case. (c) OpenUK will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure that no images will be taken of any Kids for whom this permission has not been granted or who are ‘at risk’ or disallowed from having their photographs taken for legal or social reasons.
11.3 Please write to OpenUK at email@example.com, if you wish to withdraw consent at any time should a Kid(s)leave the school, club, society or group during the course of the Challenge.
11.4 (a) OpenUK will ensure that Media recorded will be of activities that show the Kids in a positive light. Embarrassing or distressing media will not be used. Media will not be associated with negative or sensitive issues. (b) OpenUK may use footage of the Kids or Teams with very general labels e.g. ‘science lesson’. (c) OpenUK will only use images of Kids who are suitably dressed. (d) OpenUK will take all reasonable measures to ensure the images are used solely for the purposes for which they are intended. However, this cannot be guaranteed, and OpenUK will take no responsibility for the way images are used by other websites or publishers or for any consequences arising from publication. Please note that websites can be viewed throughout the world and not just in the United Kingdom where UK law applies. In giving your consent you understand that images may be used in printed and electronic form.
11.5 Point of Contact re this: firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Materials submitted in the Challenge must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, and must not show inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive, or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties.
13. The Responsible Adult confirms that each individual whose image is featured in the Challenge entry (including but not limited to the participants) has given consent for the use of their image in connection with this Challenge and in accordance with these Terms. Where an individual whose image is featured in a Challenge entry is aged less than 18 years the entrant confirms that the parent or guardian of that individual has given the relevant consent.
14. Prizes are at the discretion of the organiser, OpenUK. OpenUK accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with the Challenge or prize that are not expressly included in these Terms.
15. A Responsible Adult will register and be responsible for all online activity of the Team. OpenUK, and its partners in this event will not be responsible for supervising any activity of the participants in any Team and will have no liability for the participants or their activities.
17. OpenUK accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any participant as a result of entering the Challenge or accepting a prize. OpenUK further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Challenge. Nothing in these Terms shall exclude the liability of OpenUK under law for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
18. OpenUK reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Challenge with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its reasonable control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud or pandemic (including but not limited to COVID-19)). The decision of OpenUK in all matters relating to the Challenge is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. OpenUK shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this Challenge where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, pandemic (including but not limited to COVID-19), strike, industrial dispute, war or insurrection, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
20. These Terms constitute the whole legal agreement between you and OpenUK and govern your group’s participation in the Challenge and completely replace any prior agreements between you and OpenUK.
20.1 You agree that OpenUK may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the Terms, by email, regular mail, or postings on the Website and/or the Services.
20.2 You agree that if OpenUK does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy which is contained in the Terms (or which OpenUK has the benefit of under any applicable law), this will not be taken to be a formal waiver of OpenUK’s rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to OpenUK.
20.3 If any court of law, having the jurisdiction to decide on this matter, rules that any provision of these Terms is invalid, then that provision will be removed from the Terms without affecting the rest of the Terms. The remaining provisions of the Terms will continue to be valid and enforceable.
20.4 The Terms, and your relationship with OpenUK under the Terms, shall be governed by English law. You and OpenUK agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England to resolve any legal matter arising from the Terms.
21. The Challenge is a Challenge organised by OpenUK, a company limited by guarantee registered company number 11209475 and registered at 8 Coldbath Square, London EC1R 5HL. For questions contact email@example.com.
Further details relating to the mechanics of the Challenge are included for the purpose of clarification and information only, in the Competition Guide, which will be provided to the Responsible Adult responsible upon registration.
A copy of the following Participation & Media Release Form can be downloaded from here.
PARTICIPATION & MEDIA RELEASE FORM- must be submitted for all Team members to validate Challenge submission. Entries which do not include this are invalidated.
TO: OpenUK, 8 Coldbath Square, London EC1R 5HL
Re: OpenUK Kids’ Competition 2022 (“the Challenge”)
As the Responsible Adult for registering a Team for the Challenge, I hereby confirm that:
- I have read and accept the Terms for the Challenge.
- And this Media Release being completed and submitted to OpenUK by Midnight on 31 July 2022.
- I have sought and obtained consent from the parent or guardian of every Team Member participating in the Challenge and to grant to OpenUK (and its partners) permission and authorisation to take, record and retain any media which may form part of the entry to the Challenge (“Media”) and, thereafter, to use such Media to: (a) promote, showcase and highlight Open Technology, the OpenUK Challenge, Digital Glove or micro:bit, (b) promote and illustrate Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEAM) subjects, and (c) to incorporate and publish such Media as part of OpenUK’s or a third party’s websites, any form of press, social media, promotional media or museum or other exhibitions, or other reasonable activities, other web content and other marketing and promotional materials (including print and displays) and on OpenUK’s website(s) and/or related third party website(s), both in the United Kingdom and globally.
- the parent or guardian of every Team member in the Team for which I am the Responsible Adult has acknowledged and agreed that (a) Media may also be sent to the news media and Challenge events/activities may be visited by journalists and/or members of the media who will take their own photographs or film footage where pupils will often appear in these images; (b) the news media may use the images in printed publications (including local or national newspapers), on televised news programmes or on their websites where they then store them in their archive; (c) the news media may also syndicate the photos to other media for possible use, either in printed publications, on websites, or both; and (d) when OpenUK (or its partners) submit photographs and information to the media, OpenUK (or its partners) have no control over when, where, if or how they will be used.
- I will make OpenUK, and its representatives or agents aware of any Team member for whom no photo permission is granted, or who do not wish to be photographed and/or are ‘at risk’.
I acknowledge OpenUK will ensure that Media recorded will be of activities that show the group and Team members in a positive light. Embarrassing or distressing media will not be used. Media will not be associated with negative or sensitive issues. OpenUK may use group or class photographs or footage with very general labels e.g. ‘science lesson’. OpenUK will only use images of Team members who are suitably dressed. OpenUK will take all reasonable measures to ensure the images are used solely for the purposes for which they are intended. However, this cannot be guaranteed, and OpenUK will take no responsibility for the way images are used by other websites or publishers or for any consequences arising from publication. Please note that websites can be viewed throughout the world and not just in the United Kingdom where UK law applies. In giving your consent you understand that images may be used in printed and electronic form.
- I agree, and the parent or guardian of every Team member in the team for which I am the Responsible Adult agrees, to the collection, retention, usage and distribution of personal information in order to process and contact entrants about the Challenge and for the other purposes outlined in the Terms and this Media Consent for the Challenge.
Signature of RESPONSIBLE ADULT: _________________________
Name (PRINTED): ________________________________________