Amanda Brock, CEO and Chief Policy Officer for Open UK, which promotes open source technology, told The Reg that “open source is all sorts of things, but it’s not a business model.”
She said she thinks that companies who, like Elastic, are disgruntled with the way cloud providers use their code, are not fully understanding what open source licences mean. “The cloud providers in my experience are using it in a way that’s acceptable within the open source licences,” she said.
Recent Press Posts
- Amanda Brock quoted in Computing aritcle on Elastic’s move to proprietary licensing for cloud providers
- Should you be worried about cloud lock-in?
- A dedicated licence for open-source hardware: CERN OHL approved by OSI
- Amanda Brock asks “Where’s the UK’s Digital Strategy?” in Computer Weekly
- Gaia-X: A Standardised Approach to Data Sovereignty