We are at a crossroads for technology and politics. Charlene Barshefsky, a former US trade representative writing in the Financial Times, has warned of an “incipient techno-nationalism”, which she sees emerging in Europe, and worries that EU digital protectionism risks damaging ties with the US. At the same time Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron have both warned of the threats posed by US Big Tech firms, and have proposed that Europe should protect its own digital economy against predation.
Recent Press Posts
- Amanda Brock asks “Where’s the UK’s Digital Strategy?” in Computer Weekly
- Gaia-X: A Standardised Approach to Data Sovereignty
- Amanda Brock, OpenUK CEO, quoted in The Register discussing SSPL
- Andrew Katz named as top 100 influencer in Open Hardware in the UK – B4
- Big tech versus regulation – the start of an interesting decade, by Amanda Brock