General Counsel For OpenUK – Part time
Location: Remote, resident anywhere in the UK
Salary: Pro Bono
OpenUK is the UK’s industry organisation and advocacy body for Open Technology being open source software, open hardware and open data, across the UK.
As an industry organisation, OpenUK gives its Participants greater influence than they could ever achieve alone. OpenUK is committed to supporting collaboration between businesses, public sector organisations, government and communities to expand the opportunities available to all around Open Technology.
Based on its 3 Pillars: Community; Legal and Policy; and Learning, it is building a visible and vocal community across Open Technology, influencing the UK’s laws and policies to make the UK a great place for Open and promoting learning in Open Technology across the UK. As a UK organisation OpenUK is not inward focused and collaborates globally and participate in many international projects and organisations.
OpenUK is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, company number 11209475
About The Role
Reporting to the CEO, you will be spearheading provision of legal services to the organisation as part of the Leadership team, working closely with the CFO and Company Secretary, through the organisation’s most exciting scale-up phase, managing a developing NGO, effectively a bootstrapping start-up, by supporting the delivery of legal services to OpenUK’s activities, implementing the Road Map for the Pillar, meeting OKR’s by supporting:
- Pro bono and paid employee engagement
- Data protection
- Online interaction and terms and conditions
- Review and negotiations of Contracts with SME Enterprise Friends, Partners, Sponsors and Donors
- Working with external lawyers as appropriate
This will involve team activities with the Leadership Team and various Group and Work Stream leads as well as working to organisational goals.
Prepared to represent OpenUK in negotiations supporting the Chief Business Development Officer in their proposition development and engagement with and fund raising from potential and existing Donors and Sponsors.
Plenty of opportunity to engage with other areas of the organization and Leadership team and to build skills in Open Technology.
Skills and Attributes
- You will have a solid understanding of the laws in at least one UK jurisdiction is essential.
- Able to advise people at all levels.
- Ideal role for someone developing further skills who is pre-GC level and for whom a GC role is their next career step.
- Join a warm and welcoming group and commit 4 days a month /1 day a week, timed to suit the successful candidate’s availability.
For more information about the role or to apply contact: firstname.lastname@example.org