OpenUK was part of the group of organisations involved in an amicus curiae brief for the case. Commenting on the outcome, Amanda Brock, CEO of OpenUK, said: “What we see here is the evolution of the concept of fair use of copyright to allow developers, including Google, the right of fair use in the Java API building block and other such building blocks.”
Brock said that while the law may struggle to keep up with the pace of technology change, it needs to be able to adapt to these technologies.
Recent Press Posts
- Listen to the OpenTeams podcast with Amanda Brock on the state of OSS in UK, the OIN & defensive patents
- The WB-40 podcast speaks to Amanda Brock, CEO on a research project on the UK Open Technology Market and COP26
- Amanda Brock CEO speaks about GAIA-X on the Uptime Punks Podcast
- ComputingWeekly features Amanda Brock’s CEO comments on Grafana’s AGPLv3 licence
- Computing quotes Amanda Brock, CEO on Grafana Labs latest licensing change